How to evict a tenant in California?

There could be many reasons why you want to evict your tenants. Might be they are not paying the rent on time, or their behavior is causing other tenants to vacate, or they could be damaging the property. But one thing is sure that in maximum number of cases, the landlord’s interest is to evict those unwanted tenants as quickly as possible.


For this all you need is a landlord’s guide to eviction process in California. Make an end to your search here and check out the following two concepts:

Evict a Tenant Due to Unpaid Rent:

3-300x204So, your tenant failed to pay the rent on time, right? Being a landlord, you can evict a tenant who violates the lease payment rules. But, yes you need to follow specific legal procedures. As per the tenant eviction for unpaid rent, the landlord has to fill a form titled “3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit“. Doing so, the delinquent tenants are warned with an option to pay the owed rent or move out in three days once the notice is delivered. And, in any case the tenant don’t vacate the property, you are free to proceed with filing a lawsuit.

Evict a Tenant Due to No Lease:4-300x171

Even today landlords in California rent tenants for a short period via an oral agreement. And the worst part about this sort of agreement is that it often leads to conflict at the end. Especially, when the landlord asks the tenant to leave, they refuse to do same, and here arises the problem for the homeowner. But do you know that even if you rent the property without a formal written lease agreement, your oral contract is legally binding? Yes, it is true!

In California, lease for a year or longer needs to be in written. However, the short-term rentals can be oral. But even if you are putting an oral agreement, it is your responsibility to provide a basic written statement. And that’s not a big thing to do. It will include:

  • Your details such as name, address, and phone number.
  • The amount of rent.
  • The due date of rent.
  • The mode of rent payment.

Now, when you plan to move forward with unlawful detainer action, you can either do it yourself or hire an unlawful detainer processing service for the same!

Get More Info On Options To Sell Your Home...

Selling a property in today's market can be confusing. Connect with us or submit your info below and we'll help guide you through your options.

What Do You Have To Lose? Get Started Now...

We buy houses in ANY CONDITION in CA. There are no commissions or fees and no obligation whatsoever. Start below by giving us a bit of information about your property or call (661) 505-9005...
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *